It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:05

Bispham 3 Aug

Northwest Sea fishing forum - Shore fishing catch reports for Lancashire, Cumbria, Blackpool, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Liverpool and Mersey, Cumbria & the Isle of man.

Bispham 3 Aug

Postby bootster » 05 Aug 2019, 08:55

Slightly delayed report as had a busy day yesterday. Decided to fish low water in front of the wall on Saturday, followed by a session on it as the tide rose in hopes of a sole or two.

Lovely start to the night, warm, humid, very slight swell rolling in. I knew it would going to be shallow, but there really is next to no water out there at low is there? Oh well, blast it and see what happens. First chuck resulted in nothing on the hooks, but I did spook a schoolie on the way it, with it jumping clear as I was reeling in. At least there was fish there.

Second chuck resulted in a 30cm sole, so off the mark and confidence boosted a little too. He spat out a still live black as I unhooking him, which goes to show worms are by no means safe out there. I was having a cast, then moving forward 20m and so on as they tide retreated. Noted for the flood as I'd be moving just as quickly the other way. A few weevers and tiny whiting keep the fish count ticking over as the tide hit low, adn then rather suddenly started flooding. Do you guys not do a period of slack water here? It was almost one wave and it's ebbing, the next it's coming back at you.

A couple more weevers and I was soon retreating 20m every cast with the odd pulse in the tide that made me go back twice a cast. It was on one of these pulses that I picked up the rod to feel a fair bit of weight on the end; great, weed. Leave the rod and dump the bucket 25m back, run back for rod and tripod and then back to new spot. Make 5-10m on the weed, sea catches up, dump bucket 25m back and repeat. On the third one the weed pulled back. Odd. I got it in halfway and then did a final shuttle, this time it was ankle deep when I got back to the tripod. I'd started to bully the fish far more than I normally do on my light gear (size 6 Pints and a 0.25mm snood are not designed for beasting fish) due to the tide, and eventually saw a tell-tale tip of the tail as a good sized smoothie thrashed around in the shallow water. I grabbed it by the scruff of the neck, slipped the hook and watched it charge through the tiny swell on it's way off. Not massive at about 6-7lb, but a welcome sight. After that I decided to sack the beach as far too exciting with that tide.

I seem to have done a little better than most on the wall. First cast was a whiting around 30cm or so, followed by some really small ones. Mixed among the double headers I even had a triple shot at one point. A few tope pups showed, as did the rain, which was not what my weather forecast predicted. AS I'd not brought even remotely suitable clothing I sacked it and had a beer far earlier than planned. Mustn't grumble too much I suppose.

Still enduring with the pump. I think I'm getting slightly better, with only 75% of those I found losing their tails this time :lol:

Two weeks off work now and back down south, although the weather looks to be playing up so no idea what I'll be going for. I'll try and sling a report or two up, maybe I'll get lucky with an early codling as a few have started to show.
Trainee Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Bispham 3 Aug

Postby James Mully » 05 Aug 2019, 09:51

Well done mate glad to see there is a hound or two still kicking about they seemed to have vanished up Heysham and Morecambe way. If your still catching tails with the pump that usually indicates your going to deep and cutting the worm also check the bottom of your pump because if its sharp it will damage the worm on the way up. I have clipped a few stones when using my copper 22MM pump and had to sand it smooth again as it was tearing worms to bits. If you find a depth your getting them at try your best to stick to that depth using the sand on your pump as a gauge :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Postby bootster » 05 Aug 2019, 10:33

I'll bear that in mind James, many thanks. I did try cleaning it off a few times to work out what depth I was getting them at, but still not much joy. Simply a case of practice, practice, practice I'm afraid.
Trainee Addict

Postby bob1 » 05 Aug 2019, 11:28

Good result mate well done great post :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Postby pensioner pete » 05 Aug 2019, 14:58

Great report and a few fish, well done.
Hardcore Addict

Postby Granvillen » 05 Aug 2019, 15:25

I'll go along with James, I think your going too deep with the pump, you should bring the worm to the pump, when you go deep with the pump you chop the tail off as you pass the worm, its surprising how shallow you need to put the pump in, sometimes 6 to 9 inches is far enough, as long as your pump has good suction.
Hardcore Addict

Postby shacky » 05 Aug 2019, 15:50

Good report and good result :thumb: Top stuff :clap:
<º))))><
Global Moderator

Postby TurboT » 05 Aug 2019, 20:55

A nice smoothie. Worth while reward for keeping ahead of the tide. :thumb: :gp:
Try a smaller tide, 8.5m or less,if your looking for a lazy turn on the tide and fish 2hrs down and 1 up.
2023 Species Hunt - Coaley, Dab, Dog, Rockling, Ting, Thornback, Bass, Flounder, Sole, Pollack, Mackerel, Shanny, Tompot ,Gurnard, Sprat, Weever, Eel, Plaice, Turbo T.
Hardcore Addict

Postby JoeRoberts » 05 Aug 2019, 21:57

Well done With the hound :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Return to North West Sea Fishing Reports