It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 01:40

A NEW WATERPROOF BAG REVIEW

Forum for plugging and spinning discussion. Using poppers, plugs, spinners and shads to catch Bass Pollack Cod and all other saltwater predators.

A NEW WATERPROOF BAG REVIEW

Postby abbo » 28 Aug 2017, 13:48

Orvis Waterproof Sling Pack Specifications
Waterproof and impervious to weather, deep wading, or an accidental dunking
TPU coated 500D nylon
Main compartment features waterproof YKK™ Flexseal zipper
Secondary pocket has water-resistant Reiss™ zipper
One large main compartment with interior pockets for ample storage and organization
Padded and adjustable shoulder strap with gear station and forceps pocket
Tippet bar loops, compatible with Orvis Tippet Bar
Internal hook-and-loop strip to attach Waterproof Pocket
D-Ring for landing net
Water bottle pocket with elastic security cord
Messenger strap to secure bag from swinging around
Back panel with embossed channels for ventilation
19”L x 11”W x 6”D (48 x 28 x 15 cm)
854 cubic inch (14 litres)
Weight: 624 grams (1.35 pound) measured

Two outings now - So, what do I think?

First impressions - it's a quality well made bag. But, will it live up to it's £200 price tag + £4.00 postage.

Buying was easy, from Orvis Uk. The bag arrived four days later, no problems.

I'm 5ft 10, the bag fits neatly on my back, "perfect"- an adjustable strap works really well and is easy to use.

The bag fits snugly. After a few minutes I forgot it was there. "Now then, this is exactly why I purchased it". The RBB vest is great but, I hated the backache it caused me. This bag is light and comfy. I wore it all day without any problems - no backache at all.

How does it perform when wading? I removed the strap then, swung the bag to the front. I thought it was a little tricky to use, whilst wading. I went back to the beach to swap lures. I think I'll get used to opening and closing the stiff waterproof zip, as I go on. The inner bag has a zip mesh system. Therefore, your loose bits shouldn't fall out into the sea, whilst you bring the bag to the front, during opening and closing.

The main compartment is waterproof. You can actually hear the air becoming trapped as you fully zip up, to the limit. The zip needs two hands to close. The main zip is stiff. I felt you needed to take care with the closing and opening of the zip. I'm hoping the zips are going to be very long lasting - time will tell.

I had a spare spool, two lure boxes, some food, clips, sun glasses, pliers and still some space to spare.

The bottom of the bag has a useful water bottle holder. I managed to put a small flask into it.

A cheeky little pouch on the sling arm allows a small pair of braid scissors to be fitted. A nice thoughtful / helpful aid to lure angling. I would have loved a another similar pouch, one for a bigger pair of pliers to placed handily.

The back of the pack is flat moulded soft sponge type of material that feels good against your back.

As you can see I have fitted two marine clips at the front for a pair of fish grips and pliers.
The front of the bag has a handy tag for a landing net.

I kept my Galaxy straight in the water resistant front zip. The bag was dunked several times. The phone was dry - no problem.

To conclude:
I'm happy so far with the quality and performance of the bag. It's light, you don't know you have it on. The size and fit of the bag is perfect for me - just right.

The bag has been made with fly fishermen in mind. However, so far it suits my needs.

My concerns are: will the pack live with the rigours of a salt water environment. The waterproof zip - it's made to be stiff - will this last.

£200 quid for a fishing bag is a lot of money. However, if it relieves my back pains, continues to be comfortable and lasts a reasonably long time. I think it will be money well spent.

Hope some of you find this useful

Cheers all,

Paul.

Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: A NEW WATERPROOF BAG REVIEW

Postby liphook » 29 Aug 2017, 16:37

Good review mate :thumb: Expensive bag but with Orvis you have customer care/warranty like no other I've ever come across :thumb: Watch those zips for sand/grit and keep them lubricated - just like drysuit/wader zips. I've found that often if they do 'go' it's not the zip itself but the surrounding fabric or seems that the take the strain. Enjoy your fishing :victory:
Hardcore Addict

Return to Saltwater Lure fishing - Spinning and Plugging