It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:26

A few days on the Llyn

Northwales - All shore sea fishing catch reports from North Wales covering Anglesey, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd and Wrexham.

A few days on the Llyn

Postby Preston Ant » 25 Aug 2017, 22:00

A long awaited week on the lyn finally arrived!! The past week at work has dragged ton say the least! The weather forecast didn't look to promising but even if the fishing was no good, time away with the youngest and the missus is always rewarding.

This year i would hopefully try out some lrf if the weather allowed as well as some soft lures for pollock and wrasse.
Intreated my self to a 6'6 Sakura 0.5-5g rod and paired it with a nice small 2000 sized Korum spinning reel.
When I loaded my 8lb braid on to the reel i noticed that the line lay wasn't really adequate for this diameter braid, as when the bail arm turned and the spool rose, the line didn't go right to the top of the spool. Eliminating wind knots and tangles may become an issue.
Hey ho if i got any Problems i would have to make do and mend, i wouldn't really know until i had given it a try.
Arriving later on the Friday as planned because of roadworks and traffic, the 160 mile trip had taken its toll. I was shattered and so was the family, a hearty chippy tea from Aberdaron and
an early night would see us all refreshed for the week ahead.
A quick tinker with lures and reels in preparation for tomorrow was also slotted into the itinerary.

Sat 19th.
After popping down to Porth Oer in the morning ( minus rods), we decided to find a different beach. The missus had read something about Porth Iago, so that was our destination.
After finally finding the road, and paying the £4 at the farm we were here. The little one was excited and ready for the beach. As the family got settled i made my way back up the slope and round on to the northern side of the rocks at Iago.
Devastated is an understatement!! The waves were crashing and there was no real Safe place to fish from, the water was thick with weed too.
I moved round the point and ended up being on the inside of the bay, out of the wind a little too.
I was using larger soft lures, rigged weedles with 25/30g jig head to cut through the wind and waves.
Well a few close calls with the local kelp beds, drifting weed and rocks nearly had me beaten. I had 1 last cast in between 2 rocky out crops where the water was turbulent, white and fizzing. As i closed the bale arm and mended my line, my rod slammed over, was this a fish??? It certainly was, my first Lyn Bass of about 2 1/2 - 3lb
It had smashed into my lure and engulfed most
of it on the drop.

I managed to un hook him nice and quick and returned to the tribe after 100 or so more last casts.
That was my only hit of the day but i wasn't complaining!!

Sunday 20th.
We decided to go to Porth Oer on Sunday as the weather was bright and Sunny. The wind had switched direction and flattened the sea. Lovely weather to try out the new rod!
A 10 minute walk from the cottage saw us on the beach.
A full english on the beach, decent weather what more could you ask for!
After fuelling up' i made the most of the receding tide and headed out to a little rocky outcrop than can only be accessed at low water, i scampered over the rocks and waded through a little gully and got to my preferred mark. I set up up the new rod with a small sandeel type bait, a 2g jig head and a AAA shot about a foot up from the hook.
First couple of casts were to get the lay of the land so to speak.
10 minutes or so later and the rod slammed over, my first LRF Pollock :cheer: . I have to say the rod coped really well with its dives and runs. And the reel did too! This is a really exciting way to fish!

3 more decent Pollock came before another new LRF species.

Mackerel :thumb: . It was only about 3/4 of a pound but gave a great scrap.
After no more bites i decided to move back round my little island and fish off the point before making my way back to the beach.
Having figured out the best way to retrieve i sent my new favourite lure out about 20 yard. Waited for it to sink and started to retrieve, as the lure cane over the kelp in front of me a hand sized Pollock darted out and grabbed it. This was turning out to be a really enjoyable morning!
3 more small Pollock came and went before it was time to head back to the beach. The 1 last cast thought came into my head. I sent the lure out a similar distance and started to work the lure back toward me. The rod slammed over and the reel screamed, what ever had grabbed my lure was big and angry, but it was all over to soon! After some angry dives and head shakes the fish was off.
What ever it was was angry and seemed solid, my money was on a big Wrasse. When i inspected the lure it was clear why the beast had escaped, it had straightened the hook.
The hook was a size 4 with a weedless jig head built onto it. I couldn't believe how powerful the fish was!
If anybody knows another alternative as to how to rig LRF lures weedless, i'm all ears.
With this disaster i decided to head back to the family.
A brew from the Cafe and seeing my daughter playing in the famous sand soon sorted my disappointment out.
Our stay on the beach was cut short as the low cloud moved in the drizzle and rain started.
A hasty retreat back to the cottage was in order.

The new reel had caused me a few issues, there were some loose loops of braid being formed which only created tangles and wind knots. The early withdrawal from the beach enabled me to switch the line from my new reel onto my trusted Daiwa reel.
The line lay was how it should be and confidence was sky high again. I couldn't wait to get back on to the rocks, shame the weather put paid to that.
At about 7 o'clock the rain stopped, the better half and daughter were snuggled up watching a film, Out of no where the wife suggested i go fishing for an hour whilst the rain had stopped. I don't need to be told twice!
Boots on bag on and i was off again.
On arriving at the beach it was noticeable that the wind had picked up and made casting the light lure hard work.
A few unsuccessful marks were attempted bit i wanted to at least have the wind behind me as much as Possible.
When you arrive at Whistling sands, you have the cafe immediately on your left and a large open expanse of beach on the right.
At the end of the beach on the left there are some steps and a hand rail up onto the coastal
Path. My lucky mark in the evening was 2 minutes walk from the steps. Follow the path over to the left and over a stye.
The rocks there are accessible and offer deep water under your feet.

I spent a couple of minutes taking in the surroundings as the sun was now going down I had just missed a shoal of Mackerel as they were topping 50 or so meters away. I couldn't reach the main shoal even with the wind off my back and an SSG added to the line. Oh well. I did manage to pick up a couple
of small joeys that put up a good scrap.
Thinking about heading back to the cottage i launched my lure seawards, feeling the vibrations of the lure through the light gear truly is an exciting way to fish. About 2 foot away from the rocks something hammered into my lure. After a terrific scrap my second Bass of the week was landed.
The rest of the week only saw Ballans and small Pollock caught. It was a really enjoyable few days. I can't wait to try LRF round the North West.

Tight lines .

A few pics of the week.

Porth Iago

First Bass

This Pollock inhaled the lure!

First lrf Mackerel

View down the hill to Whistling Sands

Second Bass

1 of many of the small Pollock i caught through out the week.

A few more pics.

Coastal path looking over Whistling Sands

Another Pollock

One of the plenty full Wrasse.

Last edited by Preston Ant on 25 Aug 2017, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
Almost an Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: A few days on the Llyn

Postby Shane ousby » 25 Aug 2017, 22:45

Enjoyed reading your report PA.looks a top place to fish ..we'll done on your mixed fish species and your lure fishing turned out with good results..thanks for posting :thumb: :gp:
Tommorow is promised to no one...we plan...GOD laughs.
Hardcore Addict

Postby sharpey » 25 Aug 2017, 22:53

Great report. You've created a lovely atmosphere with the words, was almost there with you...Great result too. Thanks for a top bedtime story..!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Postby starfish » 25 Aug 2017, 23:28

Well done :thumb: LFR :thumb:
starfish sea fishing. You tube.
Hardcore Addict

Postby shacky » 25 Aug 2017, 23:40

There you are..! Wondered where you got to. Spot on report Anton and some super fishing :clap: Well done on your welsh exploits, top trip :thumb: :gp:
<º))))><
Global Moderator

Postby burnley-steve » 26 Aug 2017, 07:30

great report, I fished porth lago myself many years back and I assure you I was fishing with you just then. that bass on first cast set the scene brilliantly, also it looked pan sized to me :lol:
Hardcore Addict

Postby pros » 26 Aug 2017, 08:43

Great post, thanks.
Hardcore Addict

Postby rob f » 26 Aug 2017, 14:49

A cracking read Ant and some good photos , Well done on the PB :thumb:
2023 SPECIES HUNT
Dab, Whiting, 5 bearded rockling, Flounder, Thornback ray, Shanny, Silver eel, Doggie, Tub Gurnard, Coley, Pollock, Starry Smooth-hound, Plaice, Weever, Tope. Mackerel. Turbot. Dover sole.
mersey maestro

Postby liphook » 26 Aug 2017, 16:03

Great report and venue guide PA :thumb: Nice fishing mate :gp:
Hardcore Addict

Postby jonniace » 26 Aug 2017, 22:07

What a great read, really well put together and good photo's. Sounds like you had a really good time. That LRF certainly sounds exciting. :thumb: :gp:
Hardcore Addict

Next

Return to North Wales Sea Fishing Reports