It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:08

A couple of days away with DaveH

Scotland Sea fishing reports. Catch reports covering all areas of Scotland

A couple of days away with DaveH

Postby cosierat » 21 Jun 2017, 20:50

It had been a topic of conversation during the :fishing: quiet periods for about a month with various venues being suggested. Last week Dave rang and said do you fancy Drummore :fish: next Monday and Tuesday. Digs and a boat :speed: are tentatively booked. We travelled up Sunday and booked into our digs at the Clashwallon Pub. Several hours and many several drinks later we rolled back to the van ready for a very early trip to Back of Ardmore Bay beach and rocks. Up at half four and we headed to the beach.Image 0545 found us on the beach, feeding crabs and fighting weed. Just like being at home. After about two hours of no bites we precariously scrambled up onto the rocks. Dave started with his Jelly beans, whoops sorry Jelly worms and very quickly had a couple of small Pollack. I was using my AFAW 1-3oz lure rod but despite running through my repertoire of lures, couldn't get a bite. In desperation after another two hours I changed to a two hook flapper, size 1 hooks on 24" snoods, baited with combinations of rag, black and Mackie. As the bottom was snaggy I had to try and keep it on the move. it worked. With these three eventually coming. ImageImageImage
A cod, wrasse and a slug. Dave had another wrasse but his efforts of float and lure did no good after the initial 2 Pollack. We had given it seven hours so time to get back and reminisce on a hard session and recuperate for the evening.
Next morning we launched from Drummore with Spike on his boat "Go West" and headed East. Drifted for mackerel and struggled to get the numbers we required. Eventually we had enough and headed to Spike's favoured spot. Very quickly Dave was beaming happily with a 30lb Tope Image I joined in the action and had a 45+lb (skippers scales). Had to have a lot of help from Spike to get it in as it had rolled, sadly didn't get a photo with it but I took one of Spike unhooking it. Image We were all catching consistently and I quickly caught another couple of about 20lb. At that point I was shaking like a leaf from head to toe and retired to a seat. In that heat I knew I had reached my limit and had a quiet couple of hours before attempting to put a few more mackerel in the box. With my 3 and Dave and Ian, who had joined us, both getting about 10 each we had caught over 20 Tope also about 10 Bull Huss and countless doggies. I came back burnt and physically exhausted but would I go again, Yes Yes Yes but please give me a few weeks to recover first.
2017 Species Hunt, Rockling, Flounder, Plaice, Whiting, Dab, Cod, Bass, Doggie, Tope, Eel, Starry
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: A couple of days away with DaveH

Postby sharpey » 23 Jun 2017, 09:05

Excellent read mate on a top trip/s...good result too. Well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Postby skatenchips » 23 Jun 2017, 09:12

Top read and pictures lads,sounds like a splendid way to spend a couple of days.

Gazza
Hardcore Addict

Postby rob f » 23 Jun 2017, 10:50

Nice one Tony , Great report and pics :clap: :clap: :clap:
2023 SPECIES HUNT
Dab, Whiting, 5 bearded rockling, Flounder, Thornback ray, Shanny, Silver eel, Doggie, Tub Gurnard, Coley, Pollock, Starry Smooth-hound, Plaice, Weever, Tope. Mackerel. Turbot. Dover sole.
mersey maestro

Postby billbob » 23 Jun 2017, 18:52

Sounds like a nice couple of days away. Well done mate and good report.
2022 Species, Flounder, Plaice, Dab,
Hardcore Addict

Postby shacky » 23 Jun 2017, 22:51

Top Trip and some excellent fish :clap: Well Done Boys, nice to get away and catch something different :thumb: Great post & pics :gp:
<º))))><
Global Moderator

Postby jonniace » 14 Aug 2017, 18:11

Well done, it's nice to get away to new places and catch something different. Excellent tope fishing :thumb: and good photos. :gp:
Hardcore Addict

Postby starfish » 14 Aug 2017, 18:33

very well done :thumb:
starfish sea fishing. You tube.
Hardcore Addict

Postby burnley-steve » 14 Aug 2017, 18:57

wow top day out on the boat, miss days like that although they are not as frequent these days.

I love the skippers when they say "you should have been here last week"! :fishing:
Hardcore Addict

Return to Scotland Sea Fishing Reports